“Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death”

“Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death”- Albert Einstein

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Response 2: Sympathy vs. Empathy

I really enjoyed this lesson because I’ve always felt strongly about this subject. Sympathy is the ability to recognize pain, but not truly understand the full hurt of the situation because it has never been experienced. Empathy is a far greater understanding of the word pain. When a person shows empathy, they not only recognize pain, they also have a connection with the pain and have felt a similar sting. I can empathize with someone who’s had a father they has had a heart attack because I’ve been in those shoes. I’ve felt what it is like to be in that situation. I can only sympathize with someone who has lost a father due to a heart attack because I have never had to deal with that yet. It’s hard during a time of hurt when someone tells you they know how you feel, when in actuality they haven’t got the slightest clue what’s really going on inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment